Skip to main content

Unique Settings

Last week, I ran out of time to do my Top Ten Tuesday post, but I still loved the prompt of settings that I'd like to see more of. Since this week was a freebie, I decided to go ahead and do this prompt.

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.


The books I have read from these books have been absolutely amazing in the majority of circumstances, but there needs to be so much more, especially in traditional publishing for a wide range of audiences, though some of these are best suited to YA or NA. So, let's get started!

  1. 4H- I spent twelve years as a member of local 4H, and I have only read one book that ever had showing livestock at a county fair as a plotline. It was amazing, but I haven't seen this aspect of my life in any other book. I have a few ideas based on my experiences (like fair crushes or at a livestock expo), but I'd like to see more that encapsulate this experience.
  2. Rural areas from rural authors- This is similar to the last one but living in a rural area is just different from suburban or urban communities. Not only that, but they aren't all negative either. It's a cultural thing and while I relate to characters, it's great when a character has the same background as me.
  3. Non Western countries where MC has positive experiences- I'd like to see settings in a variety of locations, but I have read a few where it's really anti that cultural, which isn't cool. We need to have a variety of positive settings and speaking against someone else's culture is disrespectful. Ownvoices is important and I would like to see a variety of positive settings.
  4. Midwest and Midwestern culture- Again, something from my background that I don't see represented enough. I didn't even realize that this was a thing that I needed in my life until I moved and experienced a different type of culture. Language is region-specific and it would be really cool to see termology used that is specific to where I grew up.
  5. Colleges- small and large- Basically, I want more non-sexual NA novels about things that I'm actually going through in my life right now. Also, more college set YA novels because it's a way for many teens to cope with their futures.
  6. Technical schools- I can't think of a single book set in a technical school, but I think this could be really cool and really well done, but it is a realistic part of life for many people and contemporary literature should be able to reflect this.
  7. US not the coasts- This one is just because I'm salty how everyone on the East and West Coast seem to believe their culture is the only US culture. Don't argue with me on this because I'm right.
  8. Diverse cities (particularly in not diverse areas)- I didn't realize how diverse cities were, especially having grown up in white rural areas. Other cities, especially not traditionally thought of as progressive and diverse, would be great to be shown in literature to show alternatives and more understanding of people with different backgrounds.
  9. Diverse fantasy worlds with unique maps- Why would a fantasy world only have people with white skin? And why are so many fantasy novels just using a European map with different country names? There should be more that isn't like this and just based on these things.
  10. Small towns- Sensing a theme with wanting books from my background? Rural and small towns are really different, but I feel like these aren't represented well as different in literature. It would be really cool to have more to actually show a difference between them.

All in all, I feel like these follow along many of the same themes in terms of what I want, but all of these would definitely be valuable to represent in current literature and to have a positive impact on readers with a wide variety of backgrounds.

Thanks for reading! Be sure to let me know if you have any great recommendations for these settings and drop your Top Ten Tuesday links below.
Alyssa

Comments

  1. Hadn't thought of this before now, but I'd agree. I don't see many Midwest stories either. But as a Midwesterner, it'd be fun to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It's so great to see similar backgrounds as us, especially well done.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. If you like to read romance, I've noticed lots of books in that genre are set in small towns.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed that, but at least for me, it never feels close to my experiences. I still enjoy reading them

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I'd love to read more books about diverse fantasy worlds.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd would be so awesome, especially by such a wide variety of authors.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I think a lot of fantasy writers base their worlds on Europe because they're familiar with it enough to play it with it effectively. It's also safe -- no one to scream 'cultural appropriation" as there might be if they did a novel set in China or Iran, the latter being two areas where I'd love to see more historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, but for US authors, it feels like they should be basing it on North America, creating something new, or using anything else in the world, not just Europe. Ownvoices as well is a great way to get more of these stories

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. The Beef Princess of Practical County is one I've read that features 4-H, though it's middle grade. Totally agree on wanting more books with that theme. And the Midwest/rural things in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the one I've read! I knew there was one I had read, but I couldn't think of it.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Oh fun. Which reminds me, I just thought of another one I've read -- The Sweetheart of Prosper County (I don't remember much, but FFA is mentioned in the summary). And while I haven't read it, I did also come across Steering Toward Normal as another cattle-raising one.

      Delete
    3. This is awesome! Thank you so much for the recommendations- definitely going to have to check them out soon!

      Delete
  6. Wow i like where you went with this one! And thinking about it, why do a lot of college novels have to deal with sex all the time? give me some mystery or something lol. Great post.

    -Leelynn @ Sometimes Leelynn Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously though, a college mystery would be amazing. All of it seems to be sexual romances, but there's so much more out there.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. This is a wonderful topic to explore and I'm honestly here for all of your answers. There is so much potential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just so many differences out there, and I want readers to be able to find similar backgrounds, no matter how unique theirs is. These are just mine.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

August Six Degrees

I recently discovered the Six Degrees of Separation meme for book blogs, and it looks like a lot of fun, so I decided to start this month, and see how it goes! This month's prompt is a wild card. Since I didn't do this last month, I'm starting with the book that I'm currently in the middle of- The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. First Link: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan These books are both by the same author, but also they are both the books that got me into that specific type of mythology in the first place, both Greek and Egyptian. I've learned so much after becoming interested based on these books in the first place. Second Link: Pandora Gets Jealous by Carolyn Hennesy Both of these books are takes on Greek mythology. Percy Jackson is modern day, but Pandora is set back then. Still, the main characters are both awesome and their interactions with the Greek gods and other Greek mythical beings are just amazing. Third Link: The Frog Princess

Anticipated Releases

Welcome back to another week of Top Ten Tuesday! Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by  That Artsy Reader Girl with prompts every week! This one was surprisingly hard for me, maybe because I'm not really in the middle of any great series right now and all of the authors I read a lot aren't releasing this fall. I did include multiple books that I already got from Netgalley but they have not yet come out and I am behind but I still want to read them because I'm excited about their potential and hope that they are as amazing as I wish. So let's get started! Of Ice and Shadows by Audrey Coulthurst- Mare and Denna are an amazing sapp hic couple. I loved Of Ice and Shadows, and I absolutely cannot wait to read the sequel, but I have to. I am really excited for this book. Girls of Storm and Shadow by Natasha Ngan- I got my sister the first book for Christmas and still haven't read it, but this is another amazing sapphic series that I need to read. My sister loved