Skip to main content

Borrow-A-Thon TBR

Within the past year, I have gotten really into readathons so it seems fitting my first blog post is about an upcoming one.

Borrow-a-Thon runs from Sunday, May 20 to Sunday, May 27. While this is also the same week as Sob-A-Thon, I am refraining from posting about the latter readathon now, primarily because I don't have my TBR done yet. For some reason, I decided to not overlap books for challenges between the two readathons. Even though all the books I am using are both borrowed and liable to make me cry.

But let's get into this Borrow-a-thon TBR:

Challenge 1: A book award winner or nominee
For this challenge, I decided to read What Girls Are Made Of  by Elana K. Arnold. I stumbled upon this at the library, and while I have only the vaguest idea what it's about, it seems like a bildungsroman novel for women as the main character, Nina, faces life. It also is a National Book Award Finalist and likely one of the first challenges I finish.

Challenge 2: A book with your initials on the cover
I chose The Problem With Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout. This challenge is a stretch, since my initials are only on the cover due to its subtitle, but this book seems like it will be worth a read. I also stumbled upon this book at the library which seems like another coming of age novel with a female main character. While it seems a little dark from the synopsis, I am also really excited about this book.

Challenge 3: Someone else's favorite book
My sister loves Tamora Pierce. I read her Circle of Magic series back in middle school, and while I liked it well enough, I just haven't read any more of Pierce's books since even though my sister keeps bugging me about it. So here you go, sister mine, I'm finally reading Tamora Pierce. Wild Magic to be exact.

Challenge 4: A book that everyone has read but you
I am not sure if everyone has read this, but it certainly feels like everyone has read John Green's Turtles All the Way Down even though it only came out in October. I've had it on my TBR for eventually, but I grabbed it when I saw it at the library. I definitely did not expect to see that there though I am glad I can finally read it.

Challenge 5: A book from your favorite genre
While there are so many amazing genres out there, especially as I have started branching out, there will always be a special place in my heart for fantasy, so for this challenge I went with Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake, which seems like a book with complicated politics and espionage. What's not to love there? And there's a sequel, which is even better if I like it. Political fantasy books are so intricate and cool, and I love them.

Challenge 6: Read a book that features a library.
When I first saw this challenge, I was going to reread the first book of the Library Jumpers series, which I read back in middle school. However, the closest library system did not have it, so I went with something different from my norm that I think will be really good. Sombra del viento or The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon features a forbidden library and a setting in Barcelona. I have no idea what to expect, but I am definitely ready.

And that concludes my TBR! Are you participating in Borrow-A-Thon? Which book are you most looking forward to reading. For me, it's definitely What Girls Are Made Of. Let me know about your TBR in the comments.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unique Settings

Last week, I ran out of time to do my Top Ten Tuesday post, but I still loved the prompt of settings that I'd like to see more of. Since this week was a freebie, I decided to go ahead and do this prompt. Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. The books I have read from these books have been absolutely amazing in the majority of circumstances, but there needs to be so much more, especially in traditional publishing for a wide range of audiences, though some of these are best suited to YA or NA. So, let's get started! 4H- I spent twelve years as a member of local 4H, and I have only read one book that ever had showing livestock at a county fair as a plotline. It was amazing, but I haven't seen this aspect of my life in any other book. I have a few ideas based on my experiences

August Six Degrees

I recently discovered the Six Degrees of Separation meme for book blogs, and it looks like a lot of fun, so I decided to start this month, and see how it goes! This month's prompt is a wild card. Since I didn't do this last month, I'm starting with the book that I'm currently in the middle of- The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. First Link: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan These books are both by the same author, but also they are both the books that got me into that specific type of mythology in the first place, both Greek and Egyptian. I've learned so much after becoming interested based on these books in the first place. Second Link: Pandora Gets Jealous by Carolyn Hennesy Both of these books are takes on Greek mythology. Percy Jackson is modern day, but Pandora is set back then. Still, the main characters are both awesome and their interactions with the Greek gods and other Greek mythical beings are just amazing. Third Link: The Frog Princess

Anticipated Releases

Welcome back to another week of Top Ten Tuesday! Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by  That Artsy Reader Girl with prompts every week! This one was surprisingly hard for me, maybe because I'm not really in the middle of any great series right now and all of the authors I read a lot aren't releasing this fall. I did include multiple books that I already got from Netgalley but they have not yet come out and I am behind but I still want to read them because I'm excited about their potential and hope that they are as amazing as I wish. So let's get started! Of Ice and Shadows by Audrey Coulthurst- Mare and Denna are an amazing sapp hic couple. I loved Of Ice and Shadows, and I absolutely cannot wait to read the sequel, but I have to. I am really excited for this book. Girls of Storm and Shadow by Natasha Ngan- I got my sister the first book for Christmas and still haven't read it, but this is another amazing sapphic series that I need to read. My sister loved