Skip to main content

2019 Goals

Happy New Year!🎈Welcome to 2019!🎈

Last year I started this blog and as I'm sure you could tell if you started reading then, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Then I went off to college and had no idea how to adapt from high school life, which definitely did not help things. But hopefully this year, I am ready to go and I will be way more consistent than last year.


This leads me to my New Years resolutions and goals. Some of them are for this blog, some for writing, and some are closer to my personal life. However, I thought that I'd share them anyway, in hopes that this will help in my motivation to actually get them done.



I don't know if it was just my school, but I had to learn how to make SMART goals too many times to count. In case you have never heard of SMART goals before, this stands for goals that are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time bound. However, I am awful at following instructions, so while I used some of these ideas while creating my goals, I didn't fill out the template. Mostly, I just tried to remember not to set goals that I personally can not change. While I would love some followers (check out the sidebar), I can't affect that. But I can affect posting every week, which hopefully will lead to followers.

So here are my goals for 2019:


Blogging and Reading

  1. Post at least once a week. While I definitely hope to post more, I don't have the best luck at being consistent, so hopefully this goal will be achievable.
  2. Read 68 books. In 2018, I managed 67 books. I really like to try to beat my own records, so at least one more is generally my goal when trying a numbers-based record.
  3. Read at least one book a week. My goodreads chart of books per month is all over the place, including nothing read in September. I want to aim for more consistency.
  4. Improve the design of this blog by including stuff like a background image and a signature. If you have any suggestions, please let me know because I am no good at this sort of thing.

Writing


  1. Participate in both Camp Nanowrimos and Nanowrimo. These are really great ways to motivate myself to keep on writing.
  2. Finish Books 2 and 3 in the fantasy trilogy I'm currently working on. I wrote Book 1 in November and December, and as long as I write often enough, this should be achievable.
  3. Start the process of rewriting this trilogy. I kind of flew into this thing with a paragraph of planning so a lot of rework needs done. I want to organize my thoughts before I rewrite.
  4. Start planning/writing a YA romance. This is honestly my favorite genre right now and I am already coming up with ideas, even though I probably need to put it all aside.

Personal


  1. Not turn in anything late at school. Honestly, this was a big problem for me in high school and while I did better last semester, I did cut it close, including finishing and printing an assignment ten minutes before class. I really need to improve this behavior.
  2. Starting a Thursday night game night! At my school, Thursday night is a night to hang out. One group in my dorm starts a movie at midnight. While I have had game nights with some of my friends, I think that it would be cool to have a more organized thing.
  3. Try to eat a fruit or vegetable from the store twice a week. I eat the not gross stuff in the dining hall but I need to eat healthier and eating berries or cucumbers instead of chips is probably a good choice.

And these are my goals for 2019! Does anyone else try to set goals instead of resolutions for the new year? Let me know what you are trying to achieve and I would be more than happy to cheer you on!


Thanks for reading!

Alyssa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unique Settings

Last week, I ran out of time to do my Top Ten Tuesday post, but I still loved the prompt of settings that I'd like to see more of. Since this week was a freebie, I decided to go ahead and do this prompt. Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. The books I have read from these books have been absolutely amazing in the majority of circumstances, but there needs to be so much more, especially in traditional publishing for a wide range of audiences, though some of these are best suited to YA or NA. So, let's get started! 4H- I spent twelve years as a member of local 4H, and I have only read one book that ever had showing livestock at a county fair as a plotline. It was amazing, but I haven't seen this aspect of my life in any other book. I have a few ideas based on my experiences

August Six Degrees

I recently discovered the Six Degrees of Separation meme for book blogs, and it looks like a lot of fun, so I decided to start this month, and see how it goes! This month's prompt is a wild card. Since I didn't do this last month, I'm starting with the book that I'm currently in the middle of- The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. First Link: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan These books are both by the same author, but also they are both the books that got me into that specific type of mythology in the first place, both Greek and Egyptian. I've learned so much after becoming interested based on these books in the first place. Second Link: Pandora Gets Jealous by Carolyn Hennesy Both of these books are takes on Greek mythology. Percy Jackson is modern day, but Pandora is set back then. Still, the main characters are both awesome and their interactions with the Greek gods and other Greek mythical beings are just amazing. Third Link: The Frog Princess

Awesome Books out of my Comfort Zone

Welcome back for another week of Top Ten Tuesday! Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Fair warning: I'm back at school and this semester is already kicking my butt, so I have no idea how frequent posts will be, especially in Top Ten Tuesday, or how long they'll be. I love my new major but it's definitely more front heavy than I'm used to. This week's prompt features books I enjoyed out that were out of my comfort zone. I typically stick to lighter reads, particularly contemparies and romances, though I enjoy faster paced science fiction and fantasy as well. I also am a complete wimp in my reading and the rest of my life as well. So let's get started! Two Can Keep A Secret by Karen McManus- This book was absolutely amazing and the ending sent shivers down my