Skip to main content

OWLS Readathon TBR

In case I wasn't already busy enough in April, I decided to participate in the OWLs Magical Readathon, hosted on Twitter. It's based on the Hogwarts universe and testing system. There are twelve subjects for OWLs, just like in the original series. The host made some amazing art for careers, but for this month's readathon, I decided to just go for all twelve books/subjects and decide on a career path in time for the NEWTs readathon in August.

One note before I begin, but I completed one book in the Charms extra credit readathon back in October which means I get to start my Charms book one day early, today on Sunday, which works perfectly for me since I have the audiobook and a five and a half hour drive.

So let's get into the subjects, prompts, and probable reads. I say probable because chances are that I will end up switching some books in and out because I am awful at making and sticking with TBRs.

Ancient Runes is definitely one of the subjects that I would take if I was at Hogwarts and the prompt was retelling. I plan on reading Beau and Bett by Kathryn Berla. It's a Beauty and the Beast contemporary retelling and I've been super excited to read it but haven't found the time to yet.

The prompt for Arithmancy is work written by more than one author. This book was easy to find a book for because I am so ready to read What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera because I love their individual works and have heard some great things.

The Astronomy prompt was star in the title. I decided to reread Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst. I loved this book the first time that I read it and can't wait for the sequel, Of Ice and Shadows, coming out in August. Like, I've screamed about this book multiple times can't wait for it.

For Care of Magical Creatures, the prompt is book with a land animal on the cover. I honestly don't know what to read for this prompt yet, so if you have any good suggestions you should let me know. I'm at school with a limited supply of books and whatever I can get on the Ohio Ebook library so while I can get books, it's hard to choose books.

I get an extra day for Charms, for the prompt age line: read an adult work. I plan on reading my mom's favorite book, Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Crusie. I have it on audiobook which is fantastic because I definitely will be able to get through it within a few days with my long drive today.

For the prompt Reducto: title starts with an R, in potions, I decided to read Rise of Fire by Sophie Jordan. I absolutely adore Reign of Shadows and I am so excited to read this book and probably should have a while ago.

The Divination prompt is a book set in the future. I think I'm going to read The Fever King by Victoria Lee for this prompt. I have heard so many amazing things about this book and I cannot wait to read it. I hope it lives up to the hype.

In Herbology, the prompt was a book with a plant on the cover. I plan on rereading The Distance Between Lost and Found by Kathryn Holmes. I love this book and can't wait to read it again.

The History of Magic prompt is a book that was published over ten years ago, and I love how cute this prompt is and how perfect. I'm probably going to read Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher, which is an amazing book and definitely worth a read and a reread.

For a contemporary read from the Muggle Studies prompt, I plan on reading Up For Air by Laurie Morrison. This book looks really cute and enjoyable and I can't wait to get into it. It also releases May 7, so it's probably best to read it in April.

The next ingredient prompt for Potions is a sequel. I have a few sequels already on this list, but I plan on reading The Last of August by Brittany Cavallaro. I read A Study in Charlotte this month and I can't wait to read the sequel. I only read it two weeks ago but if I wasn't so busy, then this book would already be read.

I made it through to the last subject and prompt! For Transfiguration, a book with sprayed edges or a red cover. I'm going to read Inkmistress by Audrey Coulthurst, which I am really excited about as well because the female MC's ex girlfriend is a dragon so that's an amazing premise to read.

So that's my tbr! Are you participating in the Magical Readathon this time about? If so, how are you handling the career and what's your tbr.

This month is going to be crazy and I am so not ready for it, but I am also so excited about all of these things that are going to happen.

Thanks for reading!
Alyssa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unique Settings

Last week, I ran out of time to do my Top Ten Tuesday post, but I still loved the prompt of settings that I'd like to see more of. Since this week was a freebie, I decided to go ahead and do this prompt. Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. The books I have read from these books have been absolutely amazing in the majority of circumstances, but there needs to be so much more, especially in traditional publishing for a wide range of audiences, though some of these are best suited to YA or NA. So, let's get started! 4H- I spent twelve years as a member of local 4H, and I have only read one book that ever had showing livestock at a county fair as a plotline. It was amazing, but I haven't seen this aspect of my life in any other book. I have a few ideas based on my experiences

August Six Degrees

I recently discovered the Six Degrees of Separation meme for book blogs, and it looks like a lot of fun, so I decided to start this month, and see how it goes! This month's prompt is a wild card. Since I didn't do this last month, I'm starting with the book that I'm currently in the middle of- The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. First Link: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan These books are both by the same author, but also they are both the books that got me into that specific type of mythology in the first place, both Greek and Egyptian. I've learned so much after becoming interested based on these books in the first place. Second Link: Pandora Gets Jealous by Carolyn Hennesy Both of these books are takes on Greek mythology. Percy Jackson is modern day, but Pandora is set back then. Still, the main characters are both awesome and their interactions with the Greek gods and other Greek mythical beings are just amazing. Third Link: The Frog Princess

Anticipated Releases

Welcome back to another week of Top Ten Tuesday! Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by  That Artsy Reader Girl with prompts every week! This one was surprisingly hard for me, maybe because I'm not really in the middle of any great series right now and all of the authors I read a lot aren't releasing this fall. I did include multiple books that I already got from Netgalley but they have not yet come out and I am behind but I still want to read them because I'm excited about their potential and hope that they are as amazing as I wish. So let's get started! Of Ice and Shadows by Audrey Coulthurst- Mare and Denna are an amazing sapp hic couple. I loved Of Ice and Shadows, and I absolutely cannot wait to read the sequel, but I have to. I am really excited for this book. Girls of Storm and Shadow by Natasha Ngan- I got my sister the first book for Christmas and still haven't read it, but this is another amazing sapphic series that I need to read. My sister loved